Family law matters can be complex and contentious enough. Your attorney should be a force of reason who minimizes the stress and conflict while finding efficient solutions.
At The Powell Law Firm, our lawyers have more than 20 years of experience and a commitment to helping clients resolve their family law disputes as amicably and quickly as possible. Serving clients in Pearland, Houston and the surrounding area in Texas, we provide representation in all family law matters, including:
Divorce: Our experience means we are well-positioned to handle every case, from simple, uncontested divorces to the most complex, high-asset divorces. Our commitment is to looking out for your interests through every phase of the process.
Property division: The law calls for a division of property that is equitable, but not necessarily equal. Our attorneys are dedicated to protecting your assets.
Spousal maintenance: Also referred to as alimony, spousal maintenance is a common component of divorces, particularly those involving long-term marriages.
Conservatorship: More commonly known as child custody, conservatorship addresses the roles that parents will play in their children's lives following divorce. We also help unmarried parents with conservatorship issues related to paternity actions.
Modifications: Our law firm can assist with changes to conservatorship arrangements, child support payments, alimony payments and more.
Domestic violence: Victims of domestic violence can turn to us for immediate assistance in obtaining protective orders and other forms of relief.
Paternity actions: When unwed parents seek to legalize their rights and obligations to their children, it is necessary to establish paternity. We can help.
Adoption: Our lawyers provide guidance in adoptions of all kinds, including stepparent adoptions and termination of parental rights.
You Have Been Served: What Happens Next?
If you were unexpectedly served with divorce papers, you might be scared and confused. What happens next?
You need to act quickly. When it comes to divorce, you simply cannot procrastinate. Read the divorce papers right away. Make a note of the orders that your spouse wants the judge to make. Also, look for any restraining orders or hearing dates.
You will need to respond to the papers. You will need to file an answer within 20 days (including weekends and holidays). If you fail to do so, your spouse can finish the divorce without you.
You will likely have questions. That’s when you should hire a lawyer. A family law attorney can help you understand your legal options and give you the advice you need to get the best outcome possible in your divorce case.
Why You Need a Texas Family Law Attorney
A divorce is a major legal matter. It is essentially a lawsuit from one spouse to another. However, not all divorcing parties take the process seriously. They think they can easily handle the process on their own.
They can’t. Divorces consist of many elements. They can be highly complicated, even if you do not have children involved.
Getting divorced is a major decision. It is an emotional process. Make sure you have someone on your side who can guide you through the process and help you understand your legal rights. Here are some reasons why you need a family law attorney on your side:
- They understand the laws. The laws regarding marriage and divorce vary from state to state. There are so many laws to consider when it comes to asset and debt division, child custody, child support, and alimony. You need someone who understands Texas law and can help you get the best outcome possible.
- They can file the necessary documentation. There are a lot of legal documents involved in a divorce. These documents all must be filed on time as well. There are various processes involved, and your lawyer is familiar with everything they need to do by certain deadlines. This takes the pressure off you.
- They can help with child custody. Child custody is often a contentious issue. Both parents have a right to custody of their children. Your lawyer can help you avoid major conflicts.
- They can prove your alimony case. Think you have a right to alimony? Your lawyer can assess your financial situation and help you prove your case.
- They can protect you. If abuse is an issue in your divorce, your lawyer can keep you safe by implementing certain protection orders.
- They can ensure everything is included. Your lawyer has the experience to know what elements need to be included in your divorce. When your final divorce decree is issued, they can make sure nothing is missed. When something is forgotten, this can lead to arguments. Your lawyer can give you peace of mind.
Do Not Take A Scorched Earth Approach
While many law firms take a "scorched earth" approach, focusing on perpetuating the contentious battles that can arise in divorce, our lawyers take a "marital surgery" approach. We keep the value of the assets in mind during a divorce to make sure we aren't wasting our client's money for minimal increase. We resolve conflicts through family law mediation whenever possible and we always work toward the most efficient, amicable resolution method available.
Have questions? Check out these frequently asked questions about family law.
Contact The Powell Law Firm
For most legal matters, it is important to get a lawyer involved right away. Call 281-747-6346 or contact us online to schedule a consultation.